Many people want to straighten their teeth. But the thought of wearing uncomfortable metal braces for years prevents them from making the commitment. If you are interested in an alternative, Dr. Julia Shalit is a preferred provider of Invisalign® invisible braces, which straighten your teeth in half the time of traditional braces.
The Invisalign Process
You’ll receive a complete examination to determine if these invisible braces are right for you. X-rays, pictures, and impressions of your teeth will be taken. This information will be sent to the Invisalign lab to make a series of clear, custom-made aligners that will gradually move your teeth to the correct position.
Dr. Shalit will give you the first set of aligners to snap onto your teeth. Initially, the aligners will be uncomfortable, because they are meant to move your teeth to a new position. After a few days, they will feel more comfortable. At the end of two weeks, you’ll switch to the next set of aligners, which will again feel uncomfortable. This process repeats itself until you have worn all of the aligners.
You’ll have an appointment with Dr. Shalit every four to six weeks so she can monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments. At the end of your treatment, you’ll have beautifully aligned teeth. The treatment typically lasts about one year.
Invisalign Advantages and Disadvantages
- From a conversational distance, people won’t be able to tell that you’re wearing them.
- They are very comfortable.
- You take them off when you eat, drink, floss, and brush. Your teeth will be easier to keep clean than with traditional braces.
- The movement of your teeth is more precise than with traditional braces.
- The treatment time is six months to a year; that’s half the time of traditional braces.
- They are more expensive than traditional braces.
- They are removable, so great care must be taken to wear them for the required amount of time each day. Also, some teenagers might forget to put the aligners back on, or they might lose them.
If you would like to find out if these invisible braces are right for you, contact our office to schedule a complimentary consultation with Invisalign provider Dr. Shalit. You may call 317-660-1914 or request an appointment online.